Tuesday 5 August 2008

SHORT SHORT & POETRY COMP




The Dromineer Literary Festival, in Co Tipperary, have a deadline of August 15th for their poetry and short story competitions. There's no theme mentioned, which gives more freedom. I won the story section of this a number of years ago and the theme was 'Another September'. So much easier without that, eh? Though some people love a prompt, I think, and find it challenging. Anyhoo, the details:

Short stories: 600 words (unpublished). Judge: John Maher.

Poems: up to 40 lines (unpublished). Judge: Tony Curtis.

Entry fee: €10 per story, €5 for the first poem, €3 for every subsequent poem.

Prizes: €500, €350, or €150.

Mark your envelope ‘Dromineer Literary Festival’ and send to Deborah Powell Ballycommon, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

See the festival site for more info.

9 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks for this, I love a comp for 600 word stories! On sneaky question to the previous winner: do they like straight traditional stories or quirky, wierd-ish, poetic ones?
(PS It doesn't say anything about the short story comp on their website)

Group 8 said...

Hi T
You can read the story I won with here and decide yourself:
http://www.penpushermagazine.co.uk/extracts/texts/0701_FOUR/asylum.pdf
Like I said, it was a few years ago and there's a different judge each year.
Good 1st prize money though, isn't it, for a 600 word story?
There is scant info about it, that's why I blogged it. I see Miss Emerging Writer also did, so maybe they will get lots of entries.
A student (and now friend) of mine has also won it. Keeping it in the 'family'!!
The SOF entry count is at 700+. More than double last years entry! Wow.
N x

Group 8 said...

Here's that link, broken up to fit:

http://www.penpushermagazine.co.uk/
extracts/texts/0701_FOUR/asylum.pdf

Tania Hershman said...

What a beautiful story, so many worlds in one page. I am not surprised it won. I would call that poetic! Thanks for the link.

AM-C said...

@ Tania, Information on the short story competition is ther on the competition page of the website. It is there beneath the poetry info when you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Group 8 said...

Thanks Tania and thanks Ayo. Good luck with the comp. We might keep it in our little net family yet!

Frances said...

That is a beautiful story, Nuala!

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks, Ayo, I see it now! I don't think it was there before... or else my eyes are playing up!

Group 8 said...

Thanks Frances. I don't like most of my writing once it's published. I can't re-read it, so I barely remember that story. But, thank you!