Tuesday 9 September 2008

MAN BOOKER SHORTLIST 2008

The Man Booker Prize 2008 shortlisted novels are:

Aravind Adiga, The White Tiger (Atlantic)

Sebastian Barry, The Secret Scripture (Faber and Faber)

Amitav Ghosh, Sea of Poppies (John Murray)

Linda Grant, The Clothes on Their Backs (Virago)

Philip Hensher, The Northern Clemency (Fourth Estate)

Steve Toltz, A Fraction of the Whole (Hamish Hamilton)

So much for my hopes for Joseph O'Neill...well, at least we have Sebastian Barry in there to carry the torch!

Aravind Adiga is only 34! Wow. Linda Grant is the only woman on the shortlist. Now I wonder do juries ever get split along gender lines?!

2 comments:

Colm Keegan said...

Hmmm, Philip Hensher...he was the judge at the hennessys one year. I hope Sebastian Barry wins - he's a great writer. What do you think?

Group 8 said...

Hi C
I don't know how good SB is cos I haven't read him. Similar to your own bias mentioned in your blog post, I've been nurturing one of my own. I was trying to analyse it yesterday: Is it the snobby accent? The well connected family? His face??!! (All ridiculous, I know.)
Anyway, it didn't stop me buying A Long Long Way, what feels like a long long time ago. I just have to read it now.