Monday 17 November 2008

DUNDALK AFTERS

Dundalk was a lovely workshop with a warm and welcoming group of sixteen writers, and their facilitator Barbara Smith. We talked short fiction and its specifics and, predictably, the day was over in what felt like moments.

Thanks especially to Barbara for the hospitality shown to me and F, by her and her own F. We had Indian food and great chats about family, love, life, kids and writing. Hope we can do it again soon!

Dundalk is a lovely town of pretty red brick terraces, overlooked by the hulk of the Cooley Mountains, former home of Queen Maeve's brown bull of the Táin legend. You could do worse than stay at the Lismar Guesthouse - a very impressive B&B on Stapleton Place. OK, Bord Fáilte ad over!

See Barbara's blog for a report on the day here.

Next week it's Paris and the Centre Culturel Irlandais. The whirlwind of literay events just never ends. Thank God!

3 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

It sounds just lovely, as does anything involving discussion of short fiction. And Indian food. Heaven. I hope you're neck is fully healed, and that you have a wonderful time in paris! Pop down to see me, on top of a French mountain with enough croissants to see me through the week!

Unknown said...

Lucky you off to Paris - say hello to the Louvre for me, if you get a chance.

Our pleasure to have you over: hope to do it again who knows :)

And as for talking... :D

Group 8 said...

Tania - I've been following your La Muse experiences.
The neck is a recurring annoyance, but my special pillow helps!
Are you telling me that you are in France, sans croissants?! Eek. I am drooling at the thoughts of real French pain-au-chocolat. Only 6 more days...

Barbara - I try for a different musée each time, so am hoping to catch the Picasso and the Masters exhib at the Grand Palais. But I usually end up at the Carrousel du Louvre, so I'll give it a wave for you.
Thanks for the Dundalk invite - it was great.