Jointly organised by the local authority library services of Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin, From Page to Stage presents an opportunity for new playwrights to showcase their work as part of Innovation Dublin - a celebration of innovation and creativity across the Dublin Region.
Winning writers will be offered mentoring from draft manuscript stage to production by Laurence Foster (actor, author, former head of RTÉ radio drama) and Daniel Reardon (actor, playwright and poet).
The best plays submitted will be staged as rehearsed readings in libraries across the City and County during the Innovation Dublin Festival in November, giving new writers an opportunity to receive valuable feedback and audience reaction to their work. Winners will direct their own work using the services of professional actors provided by the organisers.
Judging will be carried out by Laurence Foster, Daniel Reardon, playwright Bernard Farrell and actor and director Cathryn Brennan. The overall winner will receive a prize of €500 and will have their work presented in Dublin City Council’s new Wood Quay Venue.
Entry forms (Word doc, 27kb) Click on link below
Sample script layout (PDF, 20kb) Click on link below
Entries to one address only:
- Dublin City Libraries,138-144 Pearse St., Dublin 2. Attn: Alastair Smeaton
- Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Library Service , 2 Harbour Square, Crofton Rd., Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Attn: Oonagh Brennan
- Fingal Libraries Division, Lower Ground Floor, County Hall, Swords, Co. Dublin. Attn: Yvonne O’Brien
- South Dublin Libraries, Unit 1, Square Industrial Complex, Tallaght, Co. Dublin. Attn: Caroline Higgins/Patricia Fitzgerald
- The competition is for stage plays by writers whose work has not been previously published and/or performed.
- Entrants must be resident or working in Dublin City or County.
- Plays must be written in English for a cast of a maximum of three characters and should not be of more than 40 minutes duration.
- Entries should be typed and should include a title page and a short character / plot description. There should be a double space after each page. Scripts should be printed on one side of numbered pages only.
- Only one entry per person allowed.
- Scripts will not be returned.
- Scripts must be accompanied by the official entry form. Where a pseudonym is used, the entrant’s real name must be stated on the official entry form and not on the script.
- Entries must be received by post or by hand to one of the addresses below by 5.00pm on Wednesday, September 15th, 2010.
- The Judges decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into, other than notification of the winners.