Friday 23 July 2010

SIGNINGS, REVIEW & A TRIP TO LEITRIM


On Wednesday I did a walkabout of Dublin bookshops with the PR lady from New Island and also the bookshops liaison woman. It was fun, meeting the staff and managers in the shops and signing the books. And we three ladies had a good chat and laugh about everything from Twitter to reviewers. Yes, reviewers, we laugh at you!

Speaking of reviews and reviewers, I have a review of Terese Svoboda's Trailer Girl in the summer issue of The Short Review here. (Nice person that she is, Terese didn't laugh - she sent me a friendly e-mail yesterday after reading the review...)


Right now I'm off to the John McGahern week-end in Leitrim. I'm taking part in a roundtable discussion of McGahern's fantastic novel Amongst Women in Henry's in Cootehall at 5pm. David Means is also taking part in the summer school today. I'll miss his talk on the short story but I hope to meet him over the course of the week-end. I love his writing.



So, until next week, cheerio, and don't forget there is still time to enter the Seán Ó Faoláín Short Story Competition. It could be you!

4 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

I love picturing you and the PR lady wandering around bookshops, it sounds like such fun! And thanks for the excellent review, another ss collection to get hold of. Enjoy your weekend!

And yes - everyone please enter the Sean O'Faolain comp, looking forward to reading your (anonymous) entries! Reminder: 3000 words max, NO MIN!

Mags Treanor said...

I missed the launch of YOU in Galway. Picked it up in Charlie Byrne's yesterday (they have it out front). Couldn't put it down.
If anyone ever interviewed me and asked about my fav. wimmin wroiters, I'd deffo have Nuala on the list...

Group 8 said...

Wonderful that you want flashes too, T, for the Seán Ó F comp. I approve wholeheartedly!

Group 8 said...

Mags - I'm scarlet! Ta :)