Friday 17 September 2010

FRANK O'CONNOR FESTIVAL - THE IMPATIENT BEFORES

Going to the Frank O'Connor Festival gets me giddy in a way no other literary festival gets me giddy. It's a festival that has been good to me, as well as always being stimulating and super enjoyable. And I just LOVE that it is purely about the short story. I feel fizzy today, restless and impatient, and can't wait to get in the car and shoot off to Cork (rather awkwardly via Dublin). We are no longer a two car family. (Yes, the stolen car saga continues - my insurance company managed to locate it in a scrapyard in Tipp today. Bravo! That only took 2 weeks. F@*#"%$!!!! Enough said...)

I'll have missed nearly 3 days of the Festival by the time I get there tonight but I am grateful for the bits of it I will get to take part in. Gone are the heady days when I spent the whole of the Festival in Cork, soaking it all up: the stories, the company, the city, the food. Which reminds me, Café Paradiso here I come tomorrow! How I love that restaurant! Anyway, I'm thrilled to be going to Cork and can't wait to meet my pal Tania Hershman there, and Jen, my editor at Salt, as well as all the Munster Lit crew. And I especially can't wait to hear some new (to me) short story writers.

How is it still only midday??!! I want to gooooooooooooooooooo...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well have a fab time once you get there :) Some day...

Anonymous said...

Have an amazing time, Nuala! Slightly kicking myself that I didn't pay attention to this lineup - Ben Greenman and Karen Russell are reading tonight! Still half-toying with the notion of just lepping in the car and heading ...

Ethel Rohan said...

Enjoy, Nuala! I am so envious. I seriously toyed with the idea of flying from San Francisco for the festival and then reality set in. Maybe next year, though. I never get to be a "writer" in Ireland, to own and enjoy that. Perhaps you can help me rectify that next summer. I'd love to meet you and will read anywhere anytime :-)

Again, enjoy the festival and please say a big hello to Tania and the Munster Lit crew from me.

Slan.

Unknown said...

Oh you lucky thing. Well, have a great time there!

Ossian said...

I'm going to try and get there next year.