Thursday 7 October 2010

HAPPY ALL IRELAND POETRY DAY!


I'm not reading anywhere today, but tomorrow I'm taking part in an event for the Irish Wheelchair Association in association with Siar Scéal, in Roscommon. At a castle no less. Fun! Just have to go and write my launch speech and decide what poems to read.

So, instead, I will post a poem. As it's also National Breastfeeding Week I thought I'd post something about that but there is very little of use on the net. I posted my own BF poem before and Syvia Plath's. I can't waste my precious writing hours trawling around looking for a decent BF poem so I think I will be a cheat and post them again. My poem is a bit slight but it is from the heart.

From Plath's 'Morning Song':

"One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
In my Victorian nightgown.
Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
Your handful of notes;
The clear vowels rise like balloons."

My BF poem: NOW REMOVED AS ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION

Happy All Ireland Poetry Day! I hope y'all can make it to an event near you.

6 comments:

chiccoreal said...

Thank-you for your interest in the most divergent of charitable events (how many events are there in Ireland?) sounds like scads of fun! That is the very first time (there's always one of those) that I have ever heard a Breastfeeding poem! Quite profoundly stated as well, like a realistic snapshot with a twist of penetratable observation! Egads she was good that Sylvia!

Unknown said...

If I didn't already say it, aw. I love that poem (well both of them, actually). Happy AIPD to you too!

Group 8 said...

Thanks for stopping by Chico and B. Hope you are both enjoying a lot or a littl good poetry today. I'm in the mood for some good women's poetry. I'm going to read some later on :)

Kar said...

Love both Nu, a little glimpse into a tender mother and child moment…

Yep I’m in the mood for women poetry myself this evening!

Unknown said...

mmmm yummy. I do love oysters and sylvia plath. enjoyed your pohem :)

Rachel Fenton said...

Loved both those poems when you first posted them.

Happy reading!

Barbara S - I was thinking about you - good to see you here!