Anyway, the rather excellent David Constantine is on it & they are broadcasting them all this week:
- Tea at the Midland by David Constantine
- Haywards Heath by Aminatta Forna
- Butcher's Perfume by Sarah Hall
- If it Keeps on Raining by Jon McGregor
- My Daughter the Racist by Helen Oyeyemi
"The short story can expose a writer, cruelly. It takes skill to be able to complete the job, and like a miniaturist on canvas who has to work to distil a world into a few square inches the writer who can suggest a great span in a story that has to be kept in check is a true servant of the craft. A short story needs to waste no time. It can't meander, unless the wandering is perfectly controlled and has a hidden purpose. As judges we found in our discussion that although our tastes and stylistic passions are probably quite different, we knew a good one when we saw one ..."