Tuesday 6 September 2011

MAN BOOKER SHORTLIST 2011

Carol Birch - Man Booker shortlistee
The Man Booker Prize shortlist has just been announced. No Sebastian Barry.  But two first time novelists which is a good thing.

THE SHORTLIST:
The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
Jamrach's Menagerie - Carol Birch
Half Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan
Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman
Snowdrops - A D Miller
The Sisters Brothers - Patrick deWitt
Julian Barnes has been announced as the favourite to win. I very much enjoyed Carol Birch's novel The Naming of Eliza Quinn. It was set during the famine in Ireland; Birch lived in Cork for years. I haven't read her Jamrach's Menagerie but she's a stunning writer so, very undemocratically, I am up for her.
I haven't read any of the books, because I am brokey skokey. If my local library gets them in, I will read them, that's the holy all of it, I'm afraid. Someone give me piles of dosh, please!!

No comments: