Sunday 24 June 2012

ARKANSAS BOUND

Irish writer Jamie O'Connell who will feature at the International Conference on the Short Story in Arkansas this week

Well, I'm off to Amerikay. Arkansas to be precise. To the International Conference on the Short Story to be even more precise. This will be my fourth time at the conference which takes place in a different city every second year. So far I've been to Lisbon in 2006, then Cork and in 2010, Toronto. I am stoked to be going to Arkansas. I am reliably informed by Dr Maurice Lee, the conference director, that the temps are 'hot, hot, hot' just now.

I am on two panels while there: one on flash fiction, the other on the Irish short story (oh what a vast and sticky subject). I am also reading with the delightful Katie Singer. Can't wait! And I can't wait to see my pals Tania Hershman, Sylvia Petter, Paddy O'Reilly, Ann Luttrell and Mary Costello. And to make the proper acquaintance of fellow Irish writers Molly McCloskey, Mary Morrissy and new-kid-on-the-block, Jamie O'Connell.

Early on Tuesday it's bye bye rainy Ballinasloe, hello sunny Little Rock :) I will blog from there if I have the wit and/or the time.

7 comments:

Doireann said...

Bon voyage! :)

Tania Hershman said...

Can't wait to see you! Pack your sunscreen, it's hot enough here in NYC, Litle Rock looks sizzling. I fear we may not leave the hotel at all.. :)

Afric McGlinchey said...

Delighted for Jamie, and what a great experience for you too Nuala! Have a blast.
Afric

Afric McGlinchey said...

Delighted for Jamie, and what a great experience for you too, Nuala! Have a blast.
Afric

Group 8 said...

Doireann - míle buíochas.

Tania - NY!! Lucky sucker. Can't wait to see YOU!!

Afric - I am looking forward to meeting Jamie.

Anonymous said...

Wow, have a brilliant trip! That Jamie fella is a looker! :)

Group 8 said...

Ta, Eimear.
Yes, he is ;)