Tuesday, 20 May 2014

POST-EDITING RELIEF, CAKE & TATTOOS

It is done. The send button has been pressed. The second round of edits on my Emily Dickinson novel are finito, in the bag, out of my hair. Now I just have to wait and see what my Penguin editors made of them. I do believe that the novel is now cleaner and that it makes more sense too. It's a good feeling.

Emily Dickinson's Gingerbread
Emily consumes my days and has done for well over a year. If I am not baking her cakes, I am reading another biography, or getting a tattoo inspired by her. When I started this whole thing, I was afraid. It felt audacious. Now, the nearer it gets to being a real thing - a book - the more right it feels. No matter what happens, I have connected with Emily in a profound way and that's what makes me happiest of all. I can't wait to go back to Amherst in August and breathe her air again. For now, it is sighs of relief that I met another deadline. Phew!

It's also back to promoting The Closet of Savage Mementos (not that I ever stopped!) and thinking and talking about short stories at the Dublin Writers Festival.
My Emily inspired tattoo - got it done yesterday in anticipation of pressing the send button today

10 comments:

Expat Runner said...

Love the tattoo! Makes me want to get another. I'm reading Savage Mementos at the moment & am really enjoying it:)

Emily said...

Really like the tattoo! And the cake!! Well done on the "pressing send": I'm sure you feel like you can breathe again :) See you soon xx

Nuala Ní Chonchúir said...

Thanks Jo. It took me 10 yrs to get a second one. Dithering about designs. An Emily one seemed a good fit. Thanks for buying the novel. N x

Nuala Ní Chonchúir said...

Emily, I do. Am breathing in chocolate just now, in the absence of bubbly alcohol. Feeling relief and proud of my hard work. N x

Afric McGlinchey said...

Wow. Congrats, Nuala. Can't believe how much you cram into your life. And can't wait to read the novel. Great tattoo!

Nuala Ní Chonchúir said...

Cram may be the operative word, Afric. I need a holiday from myself, I think.

Clodagh said...

Great way to mark your achievement Nuala. Congrats.

Nuala Ní Chonchúir said...

Cheers, Clodagh :)

shaunag said...

Love the tatoo! Massive congrats on getting the second set off - yay! Good luck with the DWF short story event.

Nuala Ní Chonchúir said...

Thanks, Shauna. Hoping there won't be too much more, edits wise. See you soon, me dear.