Tuesday 16 September 2014

CORK SHORT STORY FESTIVAL EVENTS 2014


I'm on the train to Cork, very much looking forward to the next five days at the Cork Intl Short Story Festival (CISS). Unbelievably (to me) this is my tenth consecutive visit to the festival. It is truly the best little literature festival in the world - the hospitality and friendliness are second to none. If you are a short story writer and you have never been, beg or bribe your publisher to get you a spot. If that doesn't work, go anyway. You won't regret it.

I am looking forward to Richard Ford's reading tonight (a festival returnee also - see, even Richard Ford can't stay away!). My friend Órfhlaith Foyle reads tomorrow with Valerie Sirr; the wondrous Rachel Trezise and Alison MacLeod read on Wednesday and Thursday respectively. And for Culture Night there's a Flash Fiction event at Waterstone's. There are lots more events, of course, see here

As to my events, I'm teaching a 4-day course in The Novel. I'm also doing a short story reading with Canadian writer Matt Rader on Weds. 17th September at 7pm in Triskel. And on Saturday afternoon I'll be yapping on a panel about long and short forms in fiction with Patrick Chapman and Ladette Randolph, chaired by Jennifer Matthews.

Hope to see some of you there!

No comments: