Saturday 31 January 2015

POEM FOR IRELAND - FULL SHORTLIST

The full list of poems shortlisted for the Poem for Ireland is:

A Christmas Childhood by Patrick Kavanagh
A Disused Shed in Co. Wexford by Derek Mahon
Dublin by Louis MacNeice
Easter 1916 by William Butler Yeats
Fill Arís by Seán Ó Ríordáin
Filleadh ar an gCathair by Ailbhe Ní Ghearbhuigh (yay!!)
Making Love Outside Áras an Uachtaráin by Paul Durcan
Quarantine by Eavan Boland
The Statue of the Virgin at Granard Speaks by Paula Meehan

When All the Others Were Away at Mass by Seamus Heaney

I had nominated Death of an Irish Woman by Michael Hartnett, so I am disappointed not to see that on the list but I am thrilled for the very talented and lovely Ailbhe Ní Ghearbhuigh, a young Kerry poet who works in the Irish Department in NUI Galway.

Details about voting and more info here at the Irish Times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to Eavan Boland. Much as I love some of the others, that poem just gets me every time.