Tuesday 22 November 2016

*MISS EMILY* L/LISTED INTL DUBLIN LIT AWARD

Martello Tower at Donabate
I had a lovely, hectic weekend in Dublin, my hometown. Saturday was the Historical Novel Society Christmas lunch. We pulled crackers, we ate risotto, we discussed The Crown (marvelous!), also WIPS, NIPS, editors, Hilary Mantel's genius and all sorts. A lovely afternoon and big thanks to Catherine Kullmann for organising it.

Raffle prize :)
Sunday I went to Crafternoon Tea, re-learned how to crochet a granny square, and ate my own weight in cake. It's a gorgeous annual event organised by my cousin Clodagh and her friends, in aid of Mary Aikenhead Day Care in Donnybrook. We stayed by the sea in Donabate that night - a glorious setting (though the hotel was grubby.) All was well, though, my husband brought me to The Clarence the next night. Super posh and lovely.


Monday saw the announcement of the longlist for the 2017 International DUBLIN  Literary Award at Pearse Street library. Thrilled that Miss Emily is on it. All thanks to my agent Gráinne, my editors in Penguin USA and Canada, and all at lovely Sandstone Press in Scotland. But mostly to the libraries (Galway!) and readers who nominated the book. Thank you all! My fellow listees Sara Baume and Louise O'Neill were also in attendance. Seven Irish writers in total are longlisted, the others are: Kevin Barry, Anne Enright, Edna O'Brien and John Banville. Others on the list include Margaret Atwood, Anne Tyler, Franzen, Houellebecq etc etc, so, you know...Anyway, we had a lovely time and I met my old boss from 1989 (!!) from Clondalkin Library's Heritage Project, Brendan Teeling, who is now second in command at Dublin City Libraries. A great fella then and now.

The Irish longlistees
There are 147 novels on the longlist. Shortlist of 10 announced in April. Winner of the €100,000 in June 2017. Irish Times piece here.

No comments: