Tuesday 31 July 2012

MAEVE BINCHY R.I.P.

Maeve Binchy, photo from Independent.ie
It was sad to hear on the news this morning that writer Maeve Binchy died last night. Much sympathy to her husband Gordon Snell and extended family. I didn't know her personally but she always came across as a sunny, warm, optimistic woman in interview. She was self-deprecating and often very funny as an interviewee.

And I loved her linked short story collection The Lilac Bus, which I read as a teenager. The skinflint character, Nancy Morris, whose meanness was so lovingly described, has stayed with me over the years.

Maeve was a truly international writer, she sold 42 million books worldwide. I just noticed lately that one of her books is on the bookshelf in Alf's house in the Aussie soap 'Home and Away'! That made me smile.

Years ago I reviewed the non-fiction book she wrote Aches and Pains, a funny, sweet book for sick people, for Galway Now magazine. She sent a thank you card to the magazine which was then forwarded to me. That's the type of writer she was - generous and grateful. Ar dheis Dé go raibh sí.

8 comments:

Ruth Quinlan said...

A sad start to a miserable day outside. There has to be something to pathetic fallacy.

Group 8 said...

It's a sad day all right. But I'd say she'd want us to be sunny :)

Kar said...

A lovely tribute Nu..

Light a Penny Candle was the first 'grown up' novel I read, a very battered copy was passed around the class room.

And I agree totally with you, I think she would want us to be sunny today, it was her nature...

Group 8 said...

Light a Penny Candle was passed around among my friends too, Karen. God, it's amazing. The power of books.

Aodhnait said...

RIP Maeve Binchy
Echoes will stay with me forever. The Gerry Doyle story was so sad.

Anna May said...

Very respectful post, Nuala.
Maeve Binchy was such a skilled and warm-hearted writer. Even though I didn't know her I always felt very proud of her success and popularity. It's a sad day for her family and her many devoted readers.
Anna May x

Donna OShaughnessy said...

I have read all her books and then re-read many. At first I thought her storeis were dull and then I realized it was my imagination that needed sharpening. Her love for the family unit was immense and I will miss her style terribly.

Group 8 said...

A writer fiend rang me from England yesterday, distressed by the news - she said she felt like she had lost a mother. So sad.