Sunday 25 September 2011

THE WINDING STAIR on CULTURE NIGHT - PICS etc.

PJ Nolan reads from The Poetry Bus

Dublin was buzzing on Culture Night, the streets alive with tourists and culture vultures, going from venue to venue, soaking it all up. We went to The Winding Stair Bookshop, the sweetest and funkiest book shop in the city.

We arrived in time to hear readings from the new edition of The Poetry Bus from Kate Dempsey, PJ Nolan and Kit Fryatt. Each of them read with great passion and energy.

Kit is a particularly exuberant reader: she sang, she danced, she expounded and she managed to be both clever and funny. A great perfomer - I had heard her for the first time two weeks ago at Phizzfest and it was a treat to see her again.

Kate Dempsey

Elaine & Sarah of The Winding Stair

Kit Fryatt in full flight

Meself
 I read from the newly expanded edition of my second short fiction collection To The World of Men, Welcome; the story 'The Ouse's Call' about Virginia Woolf's last days. Nice and cheery ;)

Juno joins me for my reading
Juno, my two-year-old daughter, decided it would be nice to hold my hand for a bit while I read and so she did.

The Winding Stair is one of those shops where you want to buy everything you see - they have a gorgeous selection of books and cards.

We had to leave after my reading and before the band The Young Folk came on unfortunately - Juno was not going to last much longer - but, as always, it was a treat to read in The Winding Stair and especially for Culture Night.

Finbar & Juno enjoying the readings (and each other!)

13 comments:

Emerging Writer said...

Thanks for posting and taking photos. There's so much to fit in on culture night. Glad you could make it.

shaunag said...

Great post, as always, Nuala. Thanks for the photos and I'm sorry to have missed such a great event. Love, love that pic of you and Juno holding hands as you read, so sweet. You should keep that one for her.

Group 8 said...

Kate - lovely to see you, sorry for our noisy entrance durung your set.

Group 8 said...

Shauna - I hope you had fun going around with the kids.

It's not the first time Juno has stormed the stage. I think she might be trying to tell me something :)

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, always good to have someone to hold your hand!
x

Group 8 said...

Cheers Rachel :)
If I didn't let her come up to me, she was going to bring the house down. Easier to comply.

The Poetry Bus said...

Great pics, great night! I'm just wondering when Juno will pen her first poem!

Group 8 said...

Peadar - I was hoping to meet you. You're like an Irish Man of Mystery :)

Rachel Fenton said...

I love your photos - I can see them making a cultural photo-calendar for tourism Ireland or similar.

You have a knack of capturing a great atmosphere.

Juno is tenpence mix - sweet as and makes you want to pop her in your pocket she's that cute!

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Sounds more than cool and what a delightful show for Juno. Must get my hands on your expanded story collection. When that come out? Ciao cat

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

How cool was that! And a delightful show for Juno. Must get my hands on your extended stories. When did they come out? Ciao cat

Group 8 said...

Cheers, Rachel - sweet comments :)

Group 8 said...

Divorced Lady - it is just out this month from Arlen House. Available from Kennys Online!
http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/book/IE/9781851320257/To_the_World_of_Men_Welcome