Friday 3 January 2014

DAVY BYRNE'S DEADLINE LOOMS

Anne Enright, former winner & current judge of the Davy Byrne's Award
There is just one month to go to the Davy Byrne's Short Story Award deadline. Eek. That rather scuppers my plan to complete my story on my Welsh retreat at Gladstone's Library at the end of this month. I have no idea how I am going to finish it on time now as I am under deadline with Novel 3 and the Novel 2 PR stuff is just about to go into overdrive. Anyway, finish it I must because I began it with this comp in mind and don't want to not enter as that would feel wrong.

The Skinny:

Prize: €15,000 first prize, plus five runner-up prizes of €1,000

Judges: Anne Enright (winner of the inaugural Davy Byrne's Award), Yiyun Li and Jon McGregor

Rules:
The competition is open to Irish citizens and to writers who are resident or were born in the thirty-two counties. Entries must consist of a previously unpublished short story written in English. The maximum word count is 15,000 words, no minimum. Only one story per entrant.

Entries must be posted/delivered to Davy Byrnes Short Story Award, c/o Dublin UNESCO City of Literature, Dublin City Libraries, 138-144 Pearse Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.

The deadline for receipt of entries is Monday Feb 3rd 2014. There is a €10 entry fee, payable online or by cheque/postal order.

The six short-listed writers will be announced in late May/early June 2014 and the overall winner announced in June 2014.

No comments: