Monday 6 January 2014

NOLLAIG NA mBAN & THE DEAD iPAD APP


Happy Nollaig na mBan/Women's Christmas/Feast of the Epiphany to all the readers of this blog.

Joyce's masterpiece short story 'The Dead' was set on this day in Dublin, so I shall be reading it again later when I am finished with my edits on Novel 3 (going well!).

But here's something fun (even though I don't own an i-anything) - there is a new app of the story available for free for iPad. The app launched today to mark the centenary of the publication of Joyce's collection Dubliners. The new app from UCD Humanities Institute includes the full story read by actor Barry McGovern plus period images and podcast commentaries and is available free from the Apple App Store.

The app also includes:

• Podcasts which contextualise the story by commentators such as Catriona Crowe, Mary Daly, Anne Fogarty and Gerardine Meaney about Joyce, Dubliners, and the Dublin of the time.

• Rare and unseen images of Dublin in 1914.

• Architectural images and drawings describing the house and the architecture of the era.

• A video performance of The Lass of Aughrim filmed in the house on Usher's Island.

My husband informs me that you can download a virtual iPad so I may get to see this yet. Meanwhile, Apple fans, enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact that preoccupation with i-things has had a serious negative impact on my writing output so you've done well to escape! Off to check out the app now- of course:)

Group 8 said...

Hi Jo, it doesn't mean I've escaped, though - I'm on android devices!
Happy Nollaig na mBan.
Nuala